Based on influential artists Alexander Calder and Bruno Munari, I was inspired to explore a more methodological and constructivist approach towards type and lettrines.
First in a purely aesthetical way, using a black ink pen and markers afterwhich I used a bamboo brush to put water over the whole.
First in a purely aesthetical way, using a black ink pen and markers afterwhich I used a bamboo brush to put water over the whole.
As I was testing the technique I drew a "B", forgetting I should have drawn one of my three letters.
The effect was quite interesting and the drawing/wetting process reminded a bit of the improvisational aspect of Jazz music. Even in my the last lettrines I was experimenting a bit with knowing where I needed to end up, but not necessarily knowing how I was going to get there. It became a visceral activity that I enjoyed quite a bit.
Surprisingly, as I looked through a blog called boingboing, there was a post focusing on Jazz/bluegrass/blues music and one of the videos posted was that of the painter and sculptor Joan MirĂ³ and jazz composer Duke Ellington meeting for the first time for an improvised jazz session
For the following experiments I was inspired by the rubber mat of the stm public transport buses. It is a grid of rubber bumps and by the end of the night people's shoesteps covered some of them with dirt and water creating shapes. With this in mind, I drew a grid of dots in markers and used my bamboo brush again with water, drawing out various letters. The effect was eye-catching.




Such as Bruno Munari had created a type toy that allowed children to create letters by using a simple number of shapes, the Dainippon Type Organization created a type toy in 2006, which was also a set of shapes that could be put together into words which then the same shapes could be put together in a different way to create the Japanese character of that same word.
Such as Bruno Munari had created a type toy that allowed children to create letters by using a simple number of shapes, the Dainippon Type Organization created a type toy in 2006, which was also a set of shapes that could be put together into words which then the same shapes could be put together in a different way to create the Japanese character of that same word.
Inspired by this puzzle type, for my second approach I cut out pieces of paper in shapes that reminded me of Alexander Calder's sculptures and assembled them together to form type and lettrines
With these same pieces I decided to test them out as an animation, which is not a finsihed product at all, but is aimed to be viewed as a "sketch".
Lastly, these are the original sketches of the Alexander Calder and Bruno Munari inspired lettrines.
No comments:
Post a Comment